A computer system consists of mainly four basic units; namely input unit, storage unit, central processing unit and output unit. Central Processing unit further includes Arithmetic logic unit and control unit, as shown in the figure:.
A computer performs five major operations or functions irrespective of its size and make. These are
• it accepts data or instructions as input,
• it stores data and instruction
• it processes data as per the instructions,
• it controls all operations inside a computer, and
• it gives results in the form of output.
a. Input Unit: This unit is used for entering data and programs into the computer system by the user for processing.
Basic Computer Organisation
b. Storage Unit: The storage unit is used for storing data and instructions before and after processing.
c. Output Unit: The output unit is used